Riverwalk is a sponsored 5km walk being held in various locations to raise funds for children and adults with brain injury and developmental disability.

Captain George Walker

Fundraiser: Captain George Walker
Event Date: 27/08/2017 12:00:00 PM - 27/08/2018 5:00:00 PM
Donation Target: $20,000.00 (AUD)
Current Total Raised: $3100.00 (AUD)
Captain George Walker


George Walker's story is long and filled with love.  Without words, he generates pure joy and is able to make people feel amazing.  Unfortunately, George (aged 12 years) has never been eligible for any significant government assistance such as the Better Start for Children with a Disability package due to the uniqueness of his condition.  The costs involved for his intensive and ongoing therapy have reached a level our family can't meet alone.

The donations towards George's medical expenses and therapy in previous years have made a huge difference and George has used it wisely with a mixture of Music Therapy + Therapeutic Horse-riding + Speech and Language Therapy + Physiotherapy + Occupational Therapy honing his physical, sensory, communicative and cognitive skills.  His walking has improved dramatically with lots of help from his paediatric podiatrist and whilst still a little unsteady, reminiscent of a drunken sailor, it is now his preferred mode of getting from A to B (other than when he can hitch a ride on someone's hip)!

George is now a hefty 30kg and size 10, and other than a six-week recuperation period after a gastro virus in 2016 which lead to 20% weight loss and his refusal to feed, he is enjoying great health. His determined spirit has helped his therapists in achieving amazing results, but there is still much more work to do to improve George's independence and communication.  He'd love to learn to dress himself, to become fully toilet-trained, to walk up a flight of stairs, to eat rather than drink his meals, and to continue improving his use of the app Proloquo2Go on his iPad to communicate his wants and needs and thoughts clearly.

George's Story

My name is George and I'm a 12 year old pocket rocket.

Every parent believes their child is one in a million, but my lucky parents scored big time with me: I'm one in 7.5 billion! I have a deletion and duplication on my chromosome 11s ~ no one else in the entire world has this diagnosis, making me totally unique.  The beauty of this is there is no one to compare my progress with and I get to write my own rules. I'm Captain George ~ Captain of my own rocket ship!!

When I arrived in this world, I unexpectedly needed reviving and ventilating by the NICU consultants who were having a non-scheduled meeting just across the corridor. My paediatrician has told Mum and Dad that he alone would never have managed to ventilate me due to my tiny restricted airways~ I was less than 4 pounds. My initial eventful stay in hospital was for 11 weeks, and whilst I was tiny and at times critically ill, I spent my time weaving my way into many hearts with my spunky attitude and have continued amazing people with my resilience ever since. I even cured myself of pulmonary hypertension and pancreatitis ~ no one knows how I did it and I'm keeping my methods a secret.  I still need a lot of help with loads of things that I'd rather learn to do myself.  Like dressing, toileting, chatting, running, blowing up a balloon {love balloons!}, horse-riding, ten pin bowling without the ramp, graffiti {okay, maybe just write my name!} and chasing my big brother on a bike.


  • Sponsor our team for the annual Riverwalk on Sunday 17th September 10am at Orleigh Park West End by pressing the donate now button on my webpage and receive an automatic tax deductible receipt. You can read about the event at

  • Help us raise sponsorship for our team through participation at the annual Riverwalk event on Sunday 17th September 10am and/or by collecting donations on our behalf using pre-printed receipts supplied by The Developing Foundation Inc.

  • Send this page to your family, friends, colleagues and anyone else you can think of and invite them to donate.

  • All donations of $2 or more are tax deductible. The Developing Foundation commits 90% of funds raised by or donated to George. The remaining 10% is used by the charity to cover credit card charges, administration and support.

  • If you have a question for our team please call Christene 0410 063 814 or email or 'like' us on

To help us polish Captain Georges awesomeness, simply hit the donate now button.

Thank you for your support.
George and his parents Christene + Jonathan and big brother Will


Funds Raised


Fundraiser Supporters:

Mr B Weir 29 June 2020 $1,000
Annual donation x
Mr B Weir 4 July 2019 $1,000
Annual donation x
Mr B Weir 29 June 2018 $1,000
Caron Watt 5 September 2017 $100
You are an inspiration to us all and a joy to know. Love you Captain amazing xx
Like our Facebook Page
Print this pageBookmark SiteTell a Friend